Sunday, December 13, 2009

Museums, disappointment.

When I started working on the interior I was a bit frustrated. I knew some general  tips about making it in Russian style, but how it would be in details - I had no idea. My solution was to buy and download some good books about Russian history and its material culture. I actually bought a lot of such books, and one was just great: I've found that, for examples, the walls in the houses of rich people were decorated with red leather (we're talking here about 17th century not scary Communists, hehe:)) or with certain types of fabric. Hm, now I'm thinking should I do the same. I have some ideas, you'll see:) Just as an example of how it was in 17th century:


The next thing - pictures and photos of traditional Russian houses. Best way is to look for Kustodiev or Vasnetsov's paintings. The rest - museums. And here's what gets me - I live in Moscow, so we have pretty good, no, very good museums. One that you might like - is Russian Historical Museum (don't know the exact name in English) on Red Square. I've been to it several times and I totally love it. But what would you do if you live... in Australia, name any other country. If  I were you I'd visit their website, which is bad, no, absolutely useless. The pictures there are sooo small - you won't see a thing. And it's not only about this website, check any museum's page - I'm pretty sure most of Russian museums post very small pictures or don't post them at all! Even Hermitage - damn Flash and Java, you can't copy the picture (okay, copyright, I admit) but just the link I can't copy (though somewhere I can, but still). It's such a disappointment for me, if you don't know Russian you won't find anything, it's very sad. 


Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

15 comments:

Caseymini said...

Victoria, I just googled "Russian Interiors" and found quite a few websites that had really nice photos. Some that could be enlarged. I am sure you have already done this, but I was amazed at what I found. Good luck with your search.

Karin Corbin said...

There are good books in English on historic Russian houses and Russian paintings. I have about 6 of them also some books on the painted lacquer boxes and books on folk tales.

There is a large Russian community in the area of the USA I live in, Seattle, WA. After the Spanish language it is the second largest foreign language in the area requested for translation. I have a friend from Russia who is a translator. She came here to translate for one of the Russian Ballets. Both her parents were ballet dancers in Siberia. She creates very interesting miniature figures dressed in costumes performing various ballets.

Victoria said...

@Caseymini: Thank you, Casey! I made quite a collection of pictures, I'll be posting the most interesting:)

Victoria said...

It's a small world:) Say hello to your friend from me, I used to live in South Ural, it's not far from Siberia. It would be great to see her works.
Luckily I have some books now where I could find some good references, I'll be posting some good examples.

Birgitta said...

Wounderful pictures!

rosanna said...

Beautiful Victoria. When I as a child I had a gorgeous book of Russian tales plenty with the most wonderful watercolours paintings.I have to dig it out from where my Dad has bried it.... BTW m favourite pic was Baba Iaga's house walking on chicken legs :o)) I really look forward your interiors. Rosanna

Irene said...

I've just found your blog and have thoroughly enjoyed reading it. I have to say, I admire your scroll saw work - beautiful and so effective on the property. I'm looking forward to following this.

Maria Jose said...

Hi Victoria,Merry Christmas !!!

Pubdoll said...

I love your thorough aproach to the interior, and the pictures are lovely! Merry Christmas Victoria!

cockerina said...

Hello Victoria! how are you? is so long that you do not write, sometimes I step away from your blog, but I can not find new ... you okay??
I wish you a happy new year!
kisses, Caterina

leminisdicockerina.blogspot.com

Victoria said...

Hi, Caterina! Sorry for being away from blogging this month, so many things happened - I've been very busy with studying, exams, graduation-work. I hope, I'll post the update today in the evening. :)

Sans said...

Hey Vic, I haven't been here for a while! And I have missed this post! What wonderful pictures you have posted. I love them. Speaking of looking for interior pictures, I too am having a tough time looking for old shop interiors in India. :(

cockerina said...

hello! I'm sorry that you've studied much, but I'm glad you're in good health ... I was worried! then come back in a few days to see you!
Have a good weekend!
Caterina from Italy

Victoria said...

Best wishes, Caterina!:)

Victoria said...

@Sans: Hm, old shops - what time do you mean? Maybe I'll find some pictures. Hope, you'll be lucky too.:)