Saturday, February 27, 2010

How to make a jig for parquetry - part 1.

Last time I was writing about the simple jig for the parquetry; so I'm posting some photos of it. I think it's pretty simple, for experienced "users" it will be nothing new, but maybe for the beginners like me it could be interesting.  Sorry for the quality of the pictures, it was quite late - I couldn't do it without my hubby, he was the model:) So:
Here's the base:




All very simple - the same base is used with table saws for "grown-ups" :) Nothing new.  It's made of plywood and basswood  strips . This kind of base is more useful than the fences that come with table saw, for example, for crosscuts. From the other side:
For the veneer I use the smaller blade:
I'll change the blade again later. So, first of all you need to decide the width of the strips - here I choose 5mm.
So we check it on a base:



After that we take couple of wood strips and fix them with clamps, so that these strips will be the fence for the veneer, you can see them on the picture above. Next, we check if we like the width, sort of this way:)

We're ready to cut. But wait, it's not safe to cut it now - we need some push device,  we make our own, take a strip of wood, thicker than blade, that's what I use:
Well, now we are ready:
Take a sheet of veneer, cover it with our wood strip, and simply cut it:)
You'll get nice and clean cut (especially when you use super-cut blade:)))



View from the other side:



And there you have it!
In the second part I'll show  how we made these strips into parquetry tiles:) I hope you found some interesting tips.

2 comments:

neomig said...

Hi Vika
I saw zour blog once and lost the address.....Untill tonight where I found it again and made sure to keep it!
Zou are so talentedß I also wish russian post service would be better so zou can sell!
Best
Neomi

neomig said...

Hi Vika
Sorry -my computer was tuned on German before....
I saw your blog once and lost the address.....Untill tonight where I found it again and made sure to keep it!
you are so talentedß I also wish russian post service would be better so you can sell!
Best
Neomi