Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Window - playing around

I thought I would never post the parts I was just playing with, but never say never.
Last two days I was trying to find a design for the window, I looked through several books in Russian concerning modern style and also several Flickr groups. Result - hundreds of photos saved, basic concept was chosen.
The walls in my roombox are 1cm thick, so I decided to use walnut,  just because it perfectly matched my pattern. It was 2,5mm thick, and I made some mistakes: first of all, I glued the pattern against the grain (hope it's the right term), and secondly, the walnut I was using was too fragile, and IMO was overdried.So the window was "broken" - it just fell apart. Why, why  did I do all this? I have no idea, I knew it wouldn't work. Besides, I don't have experience working with walnut, maybe you know - is it the material I'm using or is it about walnut itself? Instead of trying to fix it I decided to use mahogany - I worked with it when I was building the table, so I knew what to expect. And, no surprise, it was okay. I've managed to cut the whole window, this time the pattern was along the grain (hope that was my main mistake).
I'm not going to use this frame  - now that I know that mahogany is my choice, I'll start all over and  cut the details separately, after that assemble.I need two frames, so it's a lot of work:)
As you can see, I'm making it in art nouveau style, I feel so nervous about it, this should be my first time experience, and I'm not sure about the result. Hope I'll make it work.

23 comments:

Glenda said...

Beautiful design, Victoria! I'm enjoying following your work.
Glenda

The Old Maid said...

Beautiful frame! I will keep my fingers crossed for your next fames:)

Florine said...

It is a beautiful design and I can't wait to see the next step!

Irene said...

Love the design. I wouldn't know where to start with designing and making windows.

rosanna said...

Victoria you are grand ! I wish I could wood half as you do. Rosanna

Evelien said...

Beautiful design! I really like that style too.

Good luck with the next windows!

groetjes evelien

Reiko said...

Good luck with your beautiful design. What courage to make a frame yourself. I buy my windows already made. SMILE

Karin Corbin said...

Very nice design.

One tip is if you can find thinner wood then adhere the two pieces together with glue. The grain on the pieces are glued up at 90 degrees to each other. You have made your own plywood. It is more stable than either one of the pieces on its own.

Victoria said...

@Glenda: Thank you, Glenda!:) I hope I'll get quite good result in the end.

Victoria said...

@The Old Maid: THank you! Oh, me too!

Victoria said...

@Florine: Thank you so much! I hope to show the result this week, one thing though - I need the design for the "glass" too:)

Victoria said...

@Irene: Thank you! I thought so too at the beginning, 4 hours with vector graphics editor - and you have it!:)

Victoria said...

@Rosanna: Oh, it's nothing special, Rosanna.I wish I could create things without fixing them and starting all over. This time - again, I have to make it work.

Victoria said...

@Evelien: Thank you, Evelien!:)

Victoria said...

@Reiko: I would buy windows too - but: I'll never find the design I need, aaand I love challenge - I made like 10 windows for my dollhouse, so I'm not scared anymore:)

Victoria said...

@Karin: I was told about plywood too,but I was too stubborn to give it a try. Now when I think about it - the only thing I have absolutely no idea - is the type of glue. Karin, what would you suggest? (I think water-based like PVA won't do - I'm thinking of using 3M™ Super 77™ Multipurpose Adhesive Glue.)

Karin F. said...

Victoria....I love art nouveau! and your windows are gorgeous!!

Sans said...

You know your effort at everything is amazing enough but the superb quality and standard of craftsmanship is mind-blowing.

I have always had problems with glue as well. I think Elmer's wood glue will not be able to withstand the drilling and sawing. That glue hasn't worked well for me.

Victoria said...

@Sans: Oh, you're back!::))))I'm so glad!Thanks a lot for comment. Today I've tried to make my own plywood so it would be easier to cut the window frame, and for now it worked! I hope I'll make it through and show the result soon!:)

Victoria said...

@Karin F.: Thank you! I've redesigned it a bit already!:) Hope to show it this week!

Karin Corbin said...

Super 77 glue will work fine.

PVA glue is also good.

Tip, PVA glue can be used in an interesting way. If you spread a coat of glue onto thin wood veneer and let it dry you can later iron that piece of wood onto another surface. The heat from the iron activates the glue and it grabs and cools quickly.

Victoria said...

@Karin: wow, I didn't know this tip about PVA, thank you! I should try it! I made the plywood yesterday with 77 glue, worked just fine, the cut was clean and easy. I'm excited - this is the way to use wood I couldn't use before, because I only had 0,6mm veneer.

Irene said...

You do wonderful things with wood. I'm enjoying the progress, especially liked the parquet floor. There's an award for you at my blog: http://applestearooms.blogspot.com/

Irene