Friday, April 16, 2010

First experience with marquetry

I always wanted to give it a try, so yesterday I took one of the clipart art nouveau ornaments. The result:




Not perfect. To my opinion - meh:)
But that's where I love practice, I found out some mistakes that I hope I won't make in the future - how to cut the pieces, choice of the right glue and finishing. Besides I was too lazy to trace the picture, so the edges are not good.
 It was supposed to be one side of the bed for my roombox. The light border shouldn't be seen actually - I was planning it to be dark.  Well, considering the first experience I'm not sure I'll use this one - I hope to make couple more to make sure it looks good for using with the bed. 

11 comments:

The Old Maid said...

That's nice! You know what they say about practise;) Well done, I hope to see more of it in the near future:)

Victoria said...

@The Old Maid: Thank you!:) I'll do my best!

Sans said...

It is excellent!You are way too hard on yourself, Victoria!

Victoria said...

@Sans: I don't know:) I'm just looking at some fantastic examples of miniature marquetry and can't make it just alright. Sadly, victim of perfectionism.

Cynthia's Minilife said...

It looks quite perfect to me! Great job.
Cynthia

Victoria said...

Thank you, Cynthia!:)

Tallulah Belle said...

Wow that is really good for your first attempt.

You can't expect to get it like those who have been doing it for a long time on your first go...way to hard on yourself :-)

rosanna said...

Do not put it aside. It's so good. I'm sure you'll make better next time cause ou are so clever but this one looks so nice to me.I love it Rosanna

shannonc60 said...

I like it, I think it looks good. I'm sure you could find another suitable use for it anyway.

dale said...

I dunno, it looks pretty good to me. :)

Reiko said...

It looks perfect at the picture and you should be proud of the work you have done.