Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Bit of carving

It's been a great holiday, so good to be back!  I have 1000+ unread posts in Google Reader, lots of sites I haven't visited, so it's going to be busy week:) I haven't really done anything special for my roombox, just playing:


This is not the first time I tried wood carving, this pattern that I used was supposed to be for the chest. I'm not really happy with the result, I'm happy with the process, it's a lot of fun. Besides, all I could choose for carving was walnut and cherry:) I left basswood at home, unfortunately.
So next time I'll try basswood. Oh, and I forgot about the mirror, I almost finished it, it's also carved. Hope to post photos soon.

2 comments:

Karin Corbin said...

Birch is another very nice wood for carving. It is much nicer than basswood and it is native to your country. Alder is another good choice. Both those woods are softer than cherry or walnut but they are still strong. I don't know the Russian name for those trees.

Victoria said...

@Karin: Thank you for advice! I've never tried birch before, though I saw veneer at the store, I should try it, definitely. I liked alder too.